The BMW X5 xDrive40e Hybrid (PHEV)
is a beautiful machine, built upon the success of previous X5's by BMW.
My parents currently own (and are in the process of selling)a 2008 X5 xDrive35d. That by itself is a lovely car. 2 tonnes of SUV being powered by a 3-litre twin-turbo diesel, pushing you from a stand-still to 60mph is 6.5 seconds. Not bad at all. It has some nice tech, but a lot of that tech can now be found in cars such as the Ford Fiesta (Titanium) which I now have.
However, times change and my parents decided it was time to upgrade. Tor's job allows him to lease a car through his employer and this led to my parents arranging for a new car in September 2015; the unreleased new PHEV (Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle) from BMW. The wait time of 5 months didn't put them off.
The car finally arrived 2 weeks ago (beginning of March) and what a machine. It has a lot of tech out-of-the-box, just because of the model designation (40) as well as it being a hybrid. You need a display to tell you current stats of the car (current charge, what's in use etc) and to be able to control other aspects of the car.
- Surround cameras (front and back, under each wing-mirror)
- Adaptive cruise control (breaks for you as well as accelerating to a set speed)
- This can even bring you to a complete stop and start you up again
- Collision mitigation system (radar)
- Traffic-jam assist (controls your steering and speed up to 35 mph)
- Bluetooth connectivity (standard)
- Touch-pad control for GPS etc
- Auto headlights and high-beam assist
- more and more and more
Suffice to say, I was so excited to drive it. I'll pick this up in another post. I've just driven it for 450 miles, so do have some information to write down.
Pictures below of the car itself.
The car even has an app to go along with it